Thursday, November 01, 2007

Ruffle Apron *from meganmoore's blog*

You will need the following fabric:

(1) 15 1/2" x 20 1/2" piece of fabric for the back of the apron- Piece A
(4) 6 1/2" x 33 1'/2" pieces of fabric for the ruffles- Piece B
(2) 4 1/2" x 24 1/2" pieces of fabric for the apron strings- Piece C
(1) 4 1/2" x 20 1/2" piece of fabric for the band- Piece D

Directions:


Make a 1/4" hem by folding under 1/4" of the fabric and then folding over again, enclosing all raw edges of piece "A", iron under 1/4" on all sides and stitch.

"B" Pieces- Hem the same way on the two short sides and one long side, leaving one 33" side unsewn. Repeat with all 4 pieces.

Working on the right side of the fabric, using long machine stitches, stitch along the unsewn side at 1/4" and again 1/8" in seam allowance. Pull threads to adjust gathers. Starting on the bottom, pin the top edge of the ruffle to the wrong side of the fabric on piece "A" at about 1" up from the bottom. Wrap the gathering threads around the pin. Adjust gathers to fit across and pin piece down on opposite side. Stitch over the gathers to keep in place.


Sew the next ruffle ("B") to piece "A" about 4 1/2" above the top of the previously sewn ruffle, making sure the top ruffles overlaps the bottom ruffle by about an inch. Repeat with remaining ruffles.

Once the ruffles are sewn on, you should have about 1 1/2" of piece "A" left at the top.

No comments:

What's the story?

During the past 46 years, I've lived in Connecticut. I've traveled up and around the U.S. and to Puerto Rico, and loved every minute. I've had 4 children who are now fantastically talented adult artists and comedians. I've been married and then divorced and then engaged and then single and finally *big sigh* content. I've grown into a darn good nurse, cook, seamstress, and Mom.

Maybe one of these days I'll get this 'writing' thing down, too.

About Me

My photo
I am where I do and am not where I don't. Not what I was or will be, just 'me'.

fleee-ker

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from mobyclick. Make your own badge here.

booty

  • cookbooks
  • offbeat music
  • vintage household items

time